October 28, 2015

Gelli Prints and Ideas



party notice

Setup with 3x5" Gelli plate.
I've been having lots of fun with my Gelli Arts printing plates. I have 3 sizes: 3x5, 4" round, and 8x10. Mostly I use the 3x5 plate, because I'm still fairly new to this, it's convenient (and cheap) to use 4x6 blank index cards, and, of course, it uses less paint. I have a Speedball 6" soft brayer for my 8x10 plate, but I use a 2 1/4" hard brayer I've had hanging around, unused, for years, on my smaller plates.


One of the things I'm enjoying about this new-for-me artform is that I am incorporating so many items I've been holding onto: numerous bottles of craft paint, rubber stamps, odd bits that are great for removing shapes of paint from the plate. Even the first index cards I used was an unopened purchase from a thrift store a couple or three years ago. It's like all these things have just been waiting for the right time to shine!

My seldom-used Sizzix Big Shot, a gift from my daughter, was brought into play for making die-cut masks. (Some of smaller dies I'd purchased had never even been opened!) Used Tyvek postal envelopes, which I'd accumulated for bead-making for my Etsy shop, were cut up to make masks. Tyvek is great because it is easy to cut, durable, and very thin. I've found a couple of references to cutting Tyvek on a Cricut, so I'll soon be trying that out too. (I recently purchased my first Cricut machine, a Cricut Explorer, especially for cutting my own stencils.) I've even made some masks with the hot glue gun and bag of glue (now gone) that I got several years ago and used maybe twice.

So, back to the Gelli plate and how much fun I'm having with it. I'll start with some more "overlap" items. Previously I mentioned using materials I'd had sitting about for use in other crafts. Now, I've happily discovered how useful the larger 8x10" Gelli prints are as backgrounds for my Etsy photos! Here are some images I shot recently:

The colors and style of this background work well with these sari silk earrings I made.


This orange and metallic gold Gelli print really compliments the new style of my popular Lucky 13 necklace.


This pair of earrings isn't in my Etsy shop yet, but don't they look gorgeous on my swirly stenciled Gelli print? (Leafy Swirl Stencil 9 x 11 inch stencil purchased at Claritystamp.)


Just a few of the many, many prints I've made on my 3x5" Gelli plate (It's addictive!):

One of my very first Gelli prints.

A collage of heart prints, which used a Sizzix die-cut heart as mask.

Made using real plant parts!

Beauty Berry leaf used as mask and texture by printing with leaf in place, then carefully pulling up all but top of index card (left side in this photo) to remove leaf from plate and pressing index card down again, so it is still in the same place.


Here are some stencils I designed. Click each thumbnail to access the full-size PNG image, then right click it > View Image, then right click again > Save Image.)* On my monitor, the first clicked image looks black with a dark gray background. When I click View Image the background becomes white. Neither one is the actual background color, which is transparent. (The black part is the part that will be cut out - at least that's how my Cricut works.)

*For personal use, and may be used in your commercial** artistic works (credit/link appreciated but not required). **I do not own the fonts, so cannot grant commercial use for these. They are named; check rights usage if including in commercial works. None of my stencils may be sold as-is, digitally or physically, or shared by others as online files. (And please, if you do link, link to this page, not to the images themselves!)

Sybil Green font alphabet for 3x5" stencil (PNG file)



Stencil std font alphabet for 3x5" stencil (PNG file)



Montez font alphabet for 3x5" stencil (PNG file)



8x11" circle grid for stencil (PNG file)



Diamond grid for 8.5x11" stencil (PNG file)



8x10" Fancy Diamond grid for stencil (PNG file)



8" round diamond circle (PNG file)

Well, that's all for this post. Come back again soon to see what's new. (And thanks for reading all the way to the end!)

-Randi


P.S about comments:
You are welcome to leave a comment. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved. (Spam will be deleted, not shown, and only links I deem useful will be posted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your submission will be considered for inclusion. Thanks!